Monday, December 27, 2010

Let it Snow!

In the world of international teaching, a break from school is nearly always equated with travel. Rather than asking what dishes one is preparing for Thanksgiving or whether or not they have wrapped all of their Christmas presents, the question that hums off of teachers’ lips as we near a break is, “Where are you going?” After all, it is the love of adventure and desire to see the world that brought us over here in the first place. It only makes sense that we would get out of dodge every chance we have. Chris and I have gladly been a part of this wandering population during our time abroad and we have seen and experienced some incredible things.

This year is a bit different, however. Christmas break came slightly too late for travel for me this year as I am quickly approaching Hindenburg status. So, as all of our friends made their travel reservations either back to the States to visit family or to some warm beach somewhere to find refuge from the cold Seoul winter, Chris and I regrettably sat by and waved them all goodbye. I’ll be the first to admit that I looked forward to this break with a certain amount of apprehension. The first few frigid days served as chilly reminders of how we might be warming ourselves at some Australian winery or, better yet, near the fireplace at our families’ houses in the States. Happily, these despairing attitudes didn’t last long. Though the guest lists were short, we found ourselves attending Christmas parties, impromptu dinner get-togethers, outings with friends, and other things that we simply haven’t had time to enjoy during the school year.

Here has been the best part. We woke up this morning to a few good inches of untouched, fluffy snow. You know how much I had to shovel? None. You know where I had to be today? Nowhere. You know what I had to get done today? Absolutely nothing. And it feels awesome. We decided to venture out around campus where we ran into a few families sledding down a deserted hill. No one had anything but that on their to-do list for the day. Later in the morning, the snow came back and was falling in giant, soft flakes. We got to do what everyone wants to do when it snows like that. We made hot chocolate, turned up the heat, and sat and watched the snow float down from the sky. Now this is what vacation is all about. I think I might go read a book… because I can. Let it snow!

2 comments:

Alice Robbins said...

Wow! Snow! What is that?? I picked the wrong year to come home. We had a BROWN Christmas here in Denver. Going up to Rabbit Ears this weekend though for New Years for SNOW!!! Love you and miss you!! Take an update picture!! I want to see your beauty!
Alice

Tori said...

I bet you miss the rain of your childhood home though don't you.